Friday, February 17, 2006

Fall, Winter, & Spring...

The Autumn cool, the Winter snow, and the Spring showers all experienced in 36 hours. This morning we went from the Autumn cool to the cold Winters again. The only season missing from the formula was Summer and this is in February.

Last night, I looked out the window from the second floor of my house and I saw the driveway covered with ice from the rain. It was so shiny that it was a skating rink by late evening with rain continuosly falling even after 11:00 PM. I knew cuz I was out there clearing the snow/ice bank the city plough created.

It was about 10:35 PM or so and I heard the snow plough in the neighbourhood. Then I thought to myself: "Oh no. Are you kidding?" Then in anticipation I waited for the snowplough to come to my street. I waited and waited...and waited. Then I waited again...and again. I waited anticipatingly for I know that till morning, the ice bank will be impossible to clear. Finally it arrived.

This means I must change from my pajamas to some winter clothes and make it down to where the ice bank was. On my way down the driveway, I had the urge to skate. Too bad I don't skate and I've lost my skates for years already. With a mixture of water and ice, clearing the ice bank became a heavy workout. Then clearing the ice on the driveway, that was cracking when I stepped on it, was another workout for more sweat. Mind you, previously, I was already in my pajamas which means I've already showered.

When I was finally done, I went into the house wet on the inside and also on the outside. Nope, it wasn't the sweat that was dripping on the winter jacket. It was rain. I thought I could call it an night and decided to hit the sack for I was too tired to take another shower when I've calmed down. Just when I was about to fall asleep...my daughter burped loudly after her last feeding.

Then I heard another roar. No, it wasn't my daughter playing the lioness. It came from outside. Another "uh ow" went through my mind. At that moment, I said to myself, why do these snowploughs have to plough twice. It happened before. I think about 2 years back, I shovelled my driveway and cleared the snow bank at about 1:00 AM. When I was finished, that snowplough came around again and I was standing in the middle of the driveway watching and waiting to clear it for the second time in a row. The operator stopped just before my driveway and lifted the plough and passed my driveway and then lowerd the plough to continue his duty. So, this morning when I saw that mini ice bank that I can't clear for it's already frozen, I figured that if I stood on the driveway lastnight, would history repeat itself?

How come the city doesn't clear the snow banks for it's citizens? We do pay our taxes. It's our duty to clear the snow or ice that covers our driveway and walkway if there's one, within 24 hours after the snow falls. Why is it our duty to clear the snow bank? Isn't all that snow from the street? Isn't our tax dollars enough to cover it? Does the Municiple government know that clearing the snow banks are dangerous and could potentially seriously affect our health? Well, maybe just when someone dies. It's always the case for our Government to act only when there's death involved. Hmmm....I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment